> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Civil Rights > Who would be responsible for an arrest for a charge that community service was performed instead of jail time?

Who would be responsible for an arrest for a charge that community service was performed instead of jail time?

1 Answers. Asked on Mar 28th, 2017 on Civil Rights - Tennessee
More details to this question:
About 3 years ago, I was charged with a misdemeanor. The Judge sentenced me to 45 days in jail. Instead of jail time, I performed 360 hours of community service. I completed the service and was taken off probation. About 2 weeks ago, I was arrested for "failure to report". This was done by a judge from another town, same county. I was held without bond and was arraigned to court in 8 days, still no bond. My family got paperwork from the person that was over the community service. I was seen by the original Judge and he released me and apologized for the paperwork mistake. Do I have a valid case of Wrongful Arrest? This was done in the state of TN and the county of Sullivan.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 29th, 2017 at 6:05 PM

My opinion is that you do not have a case for "wrongful arrest". The reason for that is public officials, like the judge,  are performing a public duty/function and have either absolute or qualified immunity. Beyond that, I can only recommend that you consult with an attorney in your area to get his/her opinion.

If you would like to contact me personally by either phone or email, you may do so as follows: Patrick Johnson, Johnson, Scruggs & Barfield, 95 White Bridge Road, S. 508, Nashville, Tennessee, 37205, email:; Cell: 615-646-9417; Office: 615-352-8326

Report Abuse
Civil Rights
Every person has certain civil rights, granted to the by the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other federal, state and local laws. Civil rights laws deal with a variety of topics, including human rights, women's rights, disabled rights and gay rights. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which bans employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, is one of the best-known civil rights laws in recent history. If your civil rights have been violated, a civil rights attorney can help you take legal action.
Have an Civil Rights Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

350 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

163 Answers, 24 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

102 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

100 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

78 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

77 Answers, 36 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums