> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Civil Rights > Can I sue my land lord do to neglect ?

Can I sue my land lord do to neglect ?

1 Answers. Asked on May 27th, 2015 on Civil Rights - New York
More details to this question:
I moved in to my apartment over a year a go. My land lord refused to contact me on phone calls of condition of apartment. I have black mold in my bath room, fighting bed bugs, cracks in my walls and ceiling due to gods knows what. I have a 2 year with lead poison, and Im pregnant. No knowledge of lead paint til now and when asked about bed bugs he refused to admit of the problem
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 01st, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Your landlord has a legal obligation to keep your apartment habitable, and that includes fixing the conditions you listed. You can start an action (or hire a lawyer to start an action) to force him to make the repairs. You may be entitled to a rent reduction if the conditions are serious enough and you can prove he ignored your requests for a significant time. If the lead poisoning can be linked to paint used in the apartment, you may have a serious lawsuit on behalf of your child, as well.

Report Abuse
Civil Rights
Every person has certain civil rights, granted to the by the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and other federal, state and local laws. Civil rights laws deal with a variety of topics, including human rights, women's rights, disabled rights and gay rights. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which bans employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin, is one of the best-known civil rights laws in recent history. If your civil rights have been violated, a civil rights attorney can help you take legal action.
Have an Civil Rights Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

311 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

239 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

149 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

124 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

93 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

91 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Civil Rights Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums